tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

2 posters

Mac OS X 'Snow Leopard' Features and Parallel Computing

blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Mac OS X 'Snow Leopard' Features and Parallel Computing Empty Mac OS X 'Snow Leopard' Features and Parallel Computing

Post by blade Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:44 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/10/mac-os-x-snow-leopard-features-and-parallel-computing/

Apple has posted pages for Mac OS X Snow Leopard for both server and client and describe a bit of what users can expect from the next OS X release. Apple promises that Snow Leopard "dramatically reduces the footprint of Mac OS X, making it even more efficient for users, and giving them back valuable hard drive space for their music and photos." Some early screenshots from the Developer seed of Snow Leopard do indeed show significantly smaller application file sizes over current Leopard installations. Other features listed on Apple's site were largely touched on in the press release.

The New York Times, however, reveals that Snow Leopard big focus is taking advantage of the recent trend towards multi-core and parallel computer processes. Steve Jobs provided some information on Apple's direction:

Quote:
    "We've added over a thousand features to Mac OS X in the last five years," he said Monday in an interview after his presentation. "We’re going to hit the pause button on new features."
    “The way the processor industry is going is to add more and more cores, but nobody knows how to program those things,” he said. “I mean, two, yeah; four, not really; eight, forget it.”

According to Jobs, Apple has made a parallel-programming breakthrough. Specifically, Apple claims their new "Grand Central" technology is "way beyond what Nvidia or anyone else has." There had been talk from Nvidia's CEO that Apple may adopt their CUDA technology, but it appears that Apple's implementation may be more advanced.

Apple's focus on parallel computing comes at a natural time with Intel's upcoming plans for Nehalem processors which will scale up to 8-core processors. Apple has announced that Snow Leopard will be delivered in "about a year".
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Mac OS X 'Snow Leopard' Features and Parallel Computing Empty Re: Mac OS X 'Snow Leopard' Features and Parallel Computing

Post by krypto Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:28 pm

this is good for the new mac pros
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Mac OS X 'Snow Leopard' Features and Parallel Computing Empty Re: Mac OS X 'Snow Leopard' Features and Parallel Computing

Post by blade Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:54 pm

well hopefully we'll have more cores in our laptops also by then

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 pm