tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

2 posters

UGA VI - GA's beloved Dawg passes away :-(

blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

UGA VI - GA's beloved Dawg passes away :-( Empty UGA VI - GA's beloved Dawg passes away :-(

Post by blade Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:01 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3465221

Originally Posted by Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    UGA's popular mascot Uga VI dies of heart failure

The University of Georgia's beloved and Churchillian English bulldog mascot Uga VI died peacefully Friday night in Savannah of congestive heart failure after serving nine seasons on the sidelines as the Bulldogs' winningest mascot.

Uga VI, owned by Savannah attorney Frank W. "Sonny" Seiler, was the heaviest in the line of six solid-white English bulldogs to serve as UGA's mascot since Uga I became a Georgia football game fixture in 1956.

"He was a good one," Seiler said in a prepared statement. "What can I say? He had a marvelous record. He was a very strong and healthy dog. He was the biggest of all the dogs, and he had the biggest heart. It just played out."

Damon Evans, UGA athletics director, bestowed the highest praise on the beast that he could Saturday, in a statement:

"Uga VI was a damn good mascot and a damn good dog," said Evans.

Uga VI is the first mascot to die before a successor was installed since Uga II in April 1972. Suffering from a form of leukemia and other health problems, Uga II died six months before Uga III became the mascot.

With the passing of one Uga there's always speculation regarding which bulldog will be heir to the throne, which comes with a few perks, including an air-conditioned doghouse, travel by Delta Airlines to away games, celebrityhood (Uga V was on the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1997 as the nation's best mascot) and a fanbase that's paparazzi-like in its obsession.

"People pet him so much his head gets sore," Seiler once said of his line of Ugas. "He's like a politician who shakes too many hands."

Seiler said Saturday that the "lineage is secure" and a successor will be announced by the Seilers and the UGA athletic association later.

Uga VI will be buried in a marble vault in the Southwest corner of Sanford Stadium with his ancestors in private ceremonies expected to be held early next week.

There had been speculation earlier this year that the 2007 season might have been Uga VI's last as a mascot because of his age. He would have turned 10 on July 22.

Seiler said in a statement Saturday he noticed Uga VI was breathing heavily shortly after Seiler arrived home from work Friday evening. He was taken to Dr. Stanley Lester, the family's veterinarian, who consulted with Dr. Bruce Hollett at UGA's College of Veterinary Medicine.

"I noticed a little congestion in his throat, which usually is not cause for alarm," said Seiler in the release. "I gave him a bath, which he always loved, to cool him off. After that, I called Dr. Lester, whose office is about a four-minute drive from our house.

"His heart just played out. He suffered no pain and died peacefully."

UGA president Michael F. Adams said in a statement that Uga VI will be "missed and remembered by UGA alumni and friends everywhere."

During his reign as mascot, the UGA football team compiled a record of 87 wins and 27 losses, captured the 2002 and 2005 SEC championships, and won seven of nine bowl games, surpassing Uga IV's record of 77-24-4.

UGA VI - GA's beloved Dawg passes away :-( Ugavi
    UGA VI - GA's beloved Dawg passes away :-( Ugavi2
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

UGA VI - GA's beloved Dawg passes away :-( Empty Re: UGA VI - GA's beloved Dawg passes away :-(

Post by krypto Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:59 pm

i very glad that he died peacefully, and not painfully, and i think he did a great job as being georgia's mascot
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

UGA VI - GA's beloved Dawg passes away :-( Empty Re: UGA VI - GA's beloved Dawg passes away :-(

Post by blade Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:07 pm

he was a good mascot. he had the best record also
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:20 pm

yeah he did, i wonder how good Uga VII will be
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 pm

i'm sure he'll be great
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:53 pm

yeah, m2, i hope so!
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:41 am

well, georgia should be great this coming season
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:22 pm

yeah, they should, w/the new quarterback and receiver they got coming in, on top of what they have now, except loosing the seniors
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:41 am

stafford and moreno, hello?
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:11 pm

yes, i know, if they do what they do what they did last season, they should do great this season
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:54 pm

that sentence makes no sense

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 am