tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

3 posters

New 324 Node Mac Pro Cluster In The Works At Va Tech

blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

New 324 Node Mac Pro Cluster In The Works At Va Tech Empty New 324 Node Mac Pro Cluster In The Works At Va Tech

Post by blade Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:29 am

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/24/new-324-node-mac-pro-cluster-in-the-works-at-va-tech/

Virginia Tech is building another Mac-based supercomputer, this time out of Mac Pros. According to ArsTechnica, Virginia Tech's Center for High-End Computing System is building a new cluster using 324 Mac Pro towers that will have a theoretical computing capacity of 29 teraflops.

The system will be used to study two main areas: power-aware software systems that can adjust performance automatically to maximize efficiency, and distributed shared memory systems that can run existing threaded code on high-performance clusters "as if they were scaled up versions of multi-core desktops."

Virginia Tech made headlines in 2003 when they assembled a cost-efficient supercomputer named System X out of PowerMac G5's. System X ranked as the third fastest supercomputer in the 22nd edition of the of the Top 500 list, performing at over 10 teraflops. The system was upgraded to 2.3 GHz XServe G5's approximately a year later. Ars notes that if System X were to be upgraded to current generation Xserves, the result would be a "8800-core monster that could push as much as 100 Tflops—at least in theory— coming close to Top 10 territory."

The school is using Mac Pros instead of Xserves because Xserves would require more robust cooling requirements; System X uses a hybrid liquid and forced air system that is housed in a separate building whereas the Mac Pro cluster would only require a conventional air-cooled room. Also, the additional PCI Express 2.0 slots provided by the Mac Pro were deemed desirable for use in other research projects.
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

New 324 Node Mac Pro Cluster In The Works At Va Tech Empty Re: New 324 Node Mac Pro Cluster In The Works At Va Tech

Post by krypto Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:48 am

this is very cool, a supercomputer built out of mac pros, hey tim we could do that
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

New 324 Node Mac Pro Cluster In The Works At Va Tech Empty Re: New 324 Node Mac Pro Cluster In The Works At Va Tech

Post by blade Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:22 pm

no we don't have the money for it.

and how did you miss the thread below this one?
    dmxplosive
    dmxplosive
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Post by dmxplosive Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:09 pm

if only i knew how to get grid computing working
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:49 am

yeah, i'd to put my current computers into a grid

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am