tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

4 posters

Apple to Adopt Alternative Chipsets for Next Laptops?

blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Apple to Adopt Alternative Chipsets for Next Laptops? Empty Apple to Adopt Alternative Chipsets for Next Laptops?

Post by blade Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:33 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/28/apple-to-adopt-alternative-chipsets-for-next-laptops/

AppleInsider claims that Apple will forgo the use of Intel's Montevina chipset in their next generation laptops. Instead, Apple will either design their own chipsets or could adopt 3rd part chipsets from AMD or Via.

It should be said however, this does not mean that Apple will be moving away from Intel's processors. The chipsets are simply the support chips required to interconnect the processor and the rest of the computer. Intel's Montevina platform (now known as Centrino 2) consists of a Penryn processor, the Montevina chipset and wireless networking interface. Future laptops will continue to use Intel's most recent Penryn processors which provide improved bus-speeds (1066MHz).

To the customer, Apple's decision to use 3rd party or custom chipsets is not of great significance, as all the chipsets should be functionally identical. However, AppleInsider speculates that Apple must believe there is some competitive advantage in pursuing alternative chipsets, such as improved power consumption.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/28/apples_next_gen_macs_to_have_something_special_under_the_hood.html
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Apple to Adopt Alternative Chipsets for Next Laptops? Empty Re: Apple to Adopt Alternative Chipsets for Next Laptops?

Post by krypto Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:13 pm

this is interesting
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Apple to Adopt Alternative Chipsets for Next Laptops? Empty Re: Apple to Adopt Alternative Chipsets for Next Laptops?

Post by blade Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:13 pm

yeah. very surprising
    dmxplosive
    dmxplosive
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Post by dmxplosive Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:50 pm

i wonder if apple can build better chipsets themselves?
    beholland25
    beholland25
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by beholland25 Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:25 pm

well i dont totally understand what a chipset is or what it does...
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:29 pm

all you need to know is that it connects the processor to the rest of the computer
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:43 pm

i think apple can build a better chipset themselves
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:44 pm

you have no way of knowing that

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 pm