tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

5 posters

Dell to Try to Take on Apple's Online Music Dominance?

dmxplosive
    dmxplosive
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Dell to Try to Take on Apple's Online Music Dominance? Empty Dell to Try to Take on Apple's Online Music Dominance?

Post by dmxplosive Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:32 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/18/dell-to-try-to-take-on-apples-online-music-dominance/

BusinessWeek reports on an upcoming plan from Dell to try to topple Apple's dominance in digital downloads.

The threat is being spearheaded by a former Apple executive Tim Bucher who left Apple on bad terms:

According to a lawsuit later filed by Bucher, Jobs said: "People think you are sometimes manic-depressive.... I think I'm going to have to ask you to leave the company." Bucher was stunned: He'd been promoted only a few months earlier. Bucher left Apple but soon sued for wrongful termination. He says the charges of mental illness are "completely false."

Bucher has since taken a job with Dell and is leading a 120 person team to counter Apple's current dominance in online music and movie distribution.

Dell is reportedly working on standardizing a system across computers, mobile phones and online music sites to provide a universal system for digital distribution.

Central to Dell's plan is software acquired a year ago when it bought Zing, the company Bucher founded after leaving Apple. The software handles behind-the-scenes translations so that content can be "zinged" between computers and other compatible devices. Dell hopes to announce the Zing software as a feature on small, cheap laptops expected in September and to have the software installed on all of its consumer PCs by the end of the year.

Details remain sketchy but some analysts are understandably skeptical about Dell's chances. Dell is expected to unveil details of their plan in September.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_34/b4097022701166.htm?campaign_id=rss_daily
    macbook
    macbook
    Super Saiyan 2
    Super Saiyan 2

Dell to Try to Take on Apple's Online Music Dominance? Empty Re: Dell to Try to Take on Apple's Online Music Dominance?

Post by macbook Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:49 pm

i really don't think Dell will be a threat to Apple
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Dell to Try to Take on Apple's Online Music Dominance? Empty Re: Dell to Try to Take on Apple's Online Music Dominance?

Post by krypto Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:42 pm

me either, i mean itunes is so popular now
    twoodcc
    twoodcc
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Post by twoodcc Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm

well, anything can happen i guess
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:19 pm

yeah, you just never know
    beholland25
    beholland25
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by beholland25 Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:40 pm

thats true, but I just dont see it. With iTunes, Apple should continue to dominate the music industry for a while.
    macbook
    macbook
    Super Saiyan 2
    Super Saiyan 2

Post by macbook Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:22 pm

after seeing their numbers at the keynote yesterday, i'm not worried at all
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:50 pm

yeah, i mean, people are downloading stuff from itunes all the time
    twoodcc
    twoodcc
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Post by twoodcc Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:42 pm

and they have so much content available

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm