tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

4 posters

Flight Simulator: The Difference 25 Years Makes

venom
    venom
    Saiyan

Flight Simulator: The Difference 25 Years Makes Empty Flight Simulator: The Difference 25 Years Makes

Post by venom Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:07 pm

http://www.bytecellar.com/archives/000164.php

Ever since I first booted up subLOGIC's Flight Simulator II on my Apple //c back in 1984, I've been a flight simulation fan. No mission or point other than to just fly.

Of course, it was a somewhat crude affair back then. Flight Simulator II came on a 140K floppy disk and ran in 64K on the Apple II's 8-bit 1.02MHz 65C02 processor. With 6 on-screen colors in high-res mode. It wasn't what you'd call "photorealistic," but it was fun.

I recently reviewed X-Plane 9 for the iPhone, and this made me realize it had been a while since I spent any real time with a desktop flight simulator. So I went out and picked up Microsoft's Flight Simulator X for my relatively meager (by current standards) XP box: a Shuttle XPC with a 3.2GHz P4, GeForce 6600 GT, and 1GB of RAM. It comes on two double-layer DVDs and is a 14GB install--the complete app is about 105,000 times larger than the Apple II version.

Flight Simulator X runs very smoothly on the box.

Flight Simulator X is an amazing application. I've had great fun flying about since picking it up and it occurred to me that the difference in realism and complexity between Flight Simulator X and Flight Simulator II really illustrates just how far computing technology has come in the last 25 years.
    twoodcc
    twoodcc
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Flight Simulator: The Difference 25 Years Makes Empty Re: Flight Simulator: The Difference 25 Years Makes

Post by twoodcc Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:32 pm

i never did like flight simulators that much
    macbook
    macbook
    Super Saiyan 2
    Super Saiyan 2

Flight Simulator: The Difference 25 Years Makes Empty Re: Flight Simulator: The Difference 25 Years Makes

Post by macbook Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:54 pm

it's come a long way
    twoodcc
    twoodcc
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Post by twoodcc Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:22 pm

yeah it has. that old video - man, i don't see how they survived
    dmxplosive
    dmxplosive
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Post by dmxplosive Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:58 am

i really don't care about this

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm