tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

+6
leopard
unix
blade
batman
dmxplosive
aquaman
10 posters

Apple Patent Provides Peek at Snow Leopard Technologies

aquaman
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Apple Patent Provides Peek at Snow Leopard Technologies Empty Apple Patent Provides Peek at Snow Leopard Technologies

Post by aquaman Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:58 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/24/apple-patent-provides-peek-at-snow-leopard-technologies/

InformationWeek points out a few new Apple patent applications that were just filed and published which describe technologies that will likely appear in Apple's Snow Leopard (10.6) operating system.

Apple Patent Provides Peek at Snow Leopard Technologies 112257-Picture%2045_400

Snow Leopard promises to deliver improved Multi-Core processor and Mac graphics processor unit (GPU) support to applications. While all of Apple's Macs have moved to Multi-Core processors over the past few years, applications have been slow to take full advantage of the multiple cores due to the complexity involved. Similarly, most of Apple's Macs ship with advanced GPUs for improved graphical performance and these specialized processors could also be tapped for general computing purposes. With Snow Leopard, developers should be able to more easily take advantage of this existing hardware to improve the performance of their applications.

The patent application called Data Parallel Computing on Multiple Processors describes methods to accomplish the distribution of these tasks:

A method and an apparatus that allocate one or more physical compute devices such as CPUs or GPUs attached to a host processing unit running an application for executing one or more threads of the application are described.

In the patent application itself, the inventors describe that some of the GPUs may be connected in Scalable Link Interface (SLI) or CrossFire configurations. These terms describe the simultaneous use of dual GPUs as we have discussed recently.

InformationWeek points out that some of the inventors listed have previously worked at ATI. The patent documents also publish details under the "OpenCU" label:

This document describes an embodiment of an architecture, referred to as OpenCU (Compute Units), for parallel computing. The OpenCU architecture enables a data and thread parallel computing model and allows users to view a GPU or a CPU (single-or multi-core) as a data parallel compute device. The OpenCU specification describes an API and a programming language that can be used to create and manage parallel programs.

The "Apple Confidential"-labeled document (pdf) is publicly available for those more technically inclined.
    dmxplosive
    dmxplosive
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Apple Patent Provides Peek at Snow Leopard Technologies Empty Re: Apple Patent Provides Peek at Snow Leopard Technologies

Post by dmxplosive Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:42 pm

can't wait for snow leopard
    batman
    batman
    Saiyan

Apple Patent Provides Peek at Snow Leopard Technologies Empty Re: Apple Patent Provides Peek at Snow Leopard Technologies

Post by batman Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:54 pm

me either
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:49 pm

it's gonna be good
    batman
    batman
    Saiyan

Post by batman Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:32 pm

yep
    unix
    Saiyan

Post by unix Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 pm

21:40 up 34 days, 23:43, 3 users, load averages: 1.97 1.83 1.78
    leopard
    Saiyan

Post by leopard Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:32 am

i can't wait!!
    brisingr
    brisingr
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by brisingr Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:57 pm

me neither
    littleMac
    Saiyan

Post by littleMac Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:30 pm

it's going to be a better leopard
    brisingr
    brisingr
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by brisingr Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:43 am

yep. let's hope everyone likes it
    irun
    Super Saiyan
    Super Saiyan

Post by irun Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:29 pm

i think everyone will, apple knows what they are doing
    flash
    flash
    Saiyan

Post by flash Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:03 pm

there are always people who won't like it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 am