tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

+2
youtube
incredible
6 posters

The Apple advantage - fanboys explain

incredible
    incredible
    Saiyan

The Apple advantage - fanboys explain Empty The Apple advantage - fanboys explain

Post by incredible Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:48 pm

The Apple advantage - fanboys explain

http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081112130733
    youtube
    youtube
    Saiyan

The Apple advantage - fanboys explain Empty Re: The Apple advantage - fanboys explain

Post by youtube Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:09 pm

The Apple advantage - fanboys explain Imac

It seems to mystify many that Apple enjoys such a loyal fan base. I hesitate to admit that it mystified me, when I started writing this blog, that PCs also had a loyal fan base. Please forgive my naivety; I thought PC users had them because they had to have them. Now I realise many people also use PCs because they want to.

Anyway, I asked some Apple users what the Apple advantage was to them. The list includes a couple of famous people plus a couple of people who work in areas where it's not particularly known they are Apple fans, so I am only including their initials - but let me assure you they are real, and they live from Christchurch to as far away as London. They mostly use iPhones, MacBooks or iMacs. Many of them have also experienced the PC world.

I only asked two questions, apart from job descriptions, and it would be interesting if you added your own two answers, for Mac or PC, or for your preferred OS or smartphone, in the comments section at the bottom of this blog post. You have to register for free to do so and, as you can see, many people use pseudonyms.

Apart from asking what industry people work in, as some work in industries where they don't use Apple technology, I asked:

1. What do you use your Mac for?
    2. To you personally, what is the Apple advantage?

And so, in no particular order:

SC is a photographer and audio engineer. He uses his MacBook for processing images, recording and for building a website, and for playing Call of Duty 2. To SC the Mac advantage is "The total ease of use and speed. Everything seems so logical. I find it's a very stable platform for recording, which is vital when recording a live performance. With the likes of iPhone and fantastic WiFi ability through AirPort, it really is a complete package."

JW previously worked in design and print, but now works in a non-tech job. He uses his iMac at home for "photos (either iPhoto or Photoshop for them); a large 4000-song playlist that is still growing; iMovie for video editing for holiday movies; spreadsheets with Numbers; surfing the web with Firefox; ripping DVDs to add to my DVD collection using Handbrake [software]."

To JW, the Mac advantage is "aside from Apple's periodic OS security updates which would be standard for any operating system, I have been virus free since 2000 without the need for any additional anti-virus software. I can get Clamxav for Mac (free) if I feel the need.

"OS X also comes with its own tool belt in the form of Disk Utility for any system maintenance you may want to do. There is also a very good free app called Disk Wizard that does a similar job.

";The other advantages, aside from a great looking iMac in the living room, would be iLife which came with my iMac. Of iLife I mostly use iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie on a regular basic. The ability to plug and play when I get a new device like a camera is great too.

"I also have Windows XP SP2 installed on Parallels for the occasional app or site that insists on being Windows only. Other than that, I just like using my iMac."

JS is a freelance television journalist. He uses his Mac at home for basics: "Emails, internet, online banking, GST returns etc. Basic. However, I professionally use Final Cut Pro (or my editors do) which is absolutely brilliant and outperforms all other editing systems I've worked with.

"The Mac advantage is its user-friendliness and its whole fashionable style. It's cooler than other computers."

CK uses his Mac for music, cartooning, illustrating, writing and occasional video making "and lots more."

The Mac Advantage is "It's intuitive, elegant, simple and, especially when I first got into the computer world, way more so than its Windows equivalent. It also boasts deliciously stylish hardware and has very few problems with viruses. All in all, if you can afford the slight price premium, why the hell would you go elsewhere?"

PD works in IT - PC manufacturing and Custom Server Designs. "I set up operating systems and configure servers and custom builds ensuring quality control in the process."

He uses his Mac "Mainly for processing and editing photos, but all the other stuff too: email, web browsing, contacts, writing, calendar, iSync etc. I could not comprehend not having my MacBook with me."

To PD, the Mac advantage is "It's the ease at which I can get stuff done more efficiently and elegantly. It just works!"

A different SC to the first answered my query from Valencia. He is a self-employed contractor in the insurance industry classified as a Senior Claims Technician.

"I use my MacBook and iMac for GST calculations and workbooks associated with the industry, plus of course email contacts."

To SC, the advantages is "I got so tired of Windows and the Microsoft regime. Apart from my office environment, I would not go back to the other regime."

PT works in the building industry doing architectural design for conventional and sustainable buildings. He uses his Mac for "CAD design, as a communication hub (email, internet, skype, other), for a photo and movie archive and for editing - it's a music hub and archive."

For PT, the advantage is "Ease of use, particularly when navigating between applications. The operating system is virtually virus free, with an elegant and inspiring interface. The hardware and operating system is solid and dependable."

LS is currently a university student. "When I graduate at the end of 2009 I will be teaching in Early Childhood Education."

At present, LS uses her MacBook for "research, assignments, taking notes in lectures, photos of children playing and learning for 'learning stories'. In the future I would like to make movie clips of the children I work with.

LS writes "I like [Apple's] focus on innovation and quality. It's virus free. It's user friendly (once you know how to do things). I like the 'visual' language. Reliability."

NB works in rural building and construction, doing sales and marketing. He uses his iPhone for staying in touch. To NB, the Apple advantage is his iPhone's "amazing flexibility".

PM works in Tertiary Education at the Auckland University of Technology. He uses his Mac for "Everything! Office productivity, (email, web, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), video editing (Final Cut Express, iMovie), Photoshop, web design (Dreamweaver, Flash), DVD creation (iDVD and DVD Studio Pro), audio editing (Garage Band), Video conferencing (Skype and iChat), 3D rendering (Poser), reference database (EndNote), music (iTunes), and for playing games." He also extensively uses the scheduler iCal and Address Book.

"I do almost all of my work on my computer, if I did not have one, I would be out of a job. I need a computer that will just work, reliability and speed are crucial and in my experience the Mac is always the best at these qualities."

The advantage? "I can think of no disadvantages! I don't worry about viruses, and while I do check my computer from time to time, I have not seen a virus for almost ten years. Even then, it was a Word virus that only affected PCs (yes, I keep my virus definitions up to date).

"Everything is easier to do: the drag and drop, screen captures, workflow. It is intuitive. I have heard many Mac users say it before, but my Mac works the way I think not how some computer programmer thinks.

PM carries on: "It looks good, and this is important. If I am going to look at a screen for 10 hours a day, I want my computer to be an art piece, not a dull-coloured box. I use PCs a few times every week, and the graphics are just so clunky."

CA works in the fashion industry, as a designer. "I mainly use my MacBook Pro for my studies at the moment. I love the Mac, as I am not very computer literate and it is really easy. I have got very attached to it."

QW is a fire fighter. His Mac is for "Home use - my workplace is too conservative [for Macs]"

To him, the Apple advantage is "Ease of use, engineering, stability and sheer brilliance of design."

Finally, JB works in London in sales for an IT hardware company. A constant traveller, she uses her MacBook Pro for "Email, surfing the web, iPhoto, iTunes, Microsoft Office, contacts and scheduling.

To JB, the Mac advantage is also "Ease of use and cool design."

Part of the Apple advantage for me is having contact with people like these.

- Mark Webster mac.nz
    G3
    Saiyan

The Apple advantage - fanboys explain Empty Re: The Apple advantage - fanboys explain

Post by G3 Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:18 pm

glad that apple products are working in the profeshional world
    tiger
    tiger
    Saiyan

Post by tiger Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:33 pm

mac has more positives than negatives
    ps3
    ps3
    Saiyan

Post by ps3 Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:02 pm

maybe
    harry
    harry
    Saiyan

Post by harry Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:39 pm

i agree w/that
    ps3
    ps3
    Saiyan

Post by ps3 Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:05 pm

it's debateable

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 pm