tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

2 posters

Apple Adopting SproutCore for Web Applications

blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Apple Adopting SproutCore for Web Applications Empty Apple Adopting SproutCore for Web Applications

Post by blade Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:26 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/16/apple-adopting-sproutcore-for-web-applications/

AppleInsider reports that Apple detailed their use of a JavaScript framework called SproutCore at WWDC last week.

SproutCore is an "open source, platform-independent, Cocoa-inspired JavaScript framework for creating web applications that look and feel like Desktop applications". Apple also contributed to performance updates and added new functionality to the SproutCore framework, which serves as the basis for their new MobileMe web-applications. Apple describes the user experience for their new MobileMe web applications as Desktop class, providing features such as drag and drop, click and drag, and keyboard shortcuts (guided tour video).

Apple's interest in SproutCore is, in part, to reduce their dependence on Adobe's Flash player, which traditionally is used for more interactive content on the web.

Quote:
    Those frameworks offer prebuilt code that has been polished to work on all browsers, making it easier for the developer to concentrate on what their web page should be doing rather than repeatedly reinventing the wheel for various low level functions. In that respect, open JavaScript frameworks can replace Flash without requiring any secondary plugin runtime because they are simply open JavaScript that runs in the browser directly.

Apple has also notably resisted adding Flash support to the iPhone, and made significant efforts to optimize Javascript in future versions of Safari. These improvements should trickle down into the iPhone's mobile Safari as well.

The article makes the leap that SproutCore represents "Cocoa for Windows" suggesting that Apple may use the tool to develop cross-platform web-versions of its productivity applications, such as iWork, but this appears to be speculative. In a related note, a new startup called 280 Slides has introduced a web-based PowerPoint/Keynote presentation application. 280 Slides was founded by two former Apple employees and also utilizes a Cocoa-inspired framework called Objective-J/Cappuccino.
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Apple Adopting SproutCore for Web Applications Empty Re: Apple Adopting SproutCore for Web Applications

Post by krypto Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:07 pm

glad about sproutcore for web apps, not glad about cocoa for windows
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Apple Adopting SproutCore for Web Applications Empty Re: Apple Adopting SproutCore for Web Applications

Post by blade Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:30 pm

you should be glad about cocoa for windows
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:42 pm

it does help apple, i guess for pc users, and it helps them make the switch, but it seems like they're just making more and more apps for windows
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:51 pm

which is expanding their user base
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:05 pm

yeah, it is, and it'd help apple
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:52 pm

yes it is helping them. it gets people that on a pc using apple products/services, and then when they need to buy a new computer, they'll buy a mac instead of a pc
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:24 pm

yeah, it'll really help
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:26 pm

yes it will

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:36 am