tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

4 posters

Microsoft's Shifting Strategy in Response to Apple

blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Microsoft's Shifting Strategy in Response to Apple Empty Microsoft's Shifting Strategy in Response to Apple

Post by blade Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:14 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/24/microsofts-shifting-strategy-in-response-to-apple/

AllthingsD republishes a memo from Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to all Microsoft employees detailing an update in their corporate strategy. Ballmer specifically mentions Apple and their recent success:

Apple: In the competition between PCs and Macs, we outsell Apple 30-to-1. But there is no doubt that Apple is thriving. Why? Because they are good at providing an experience that is narrow but complete, while our commitment to choice often comes with some compromises to the end-to-end experience. Today, we’re changing the way we work with hardware vendors to ensure that we can provide complete experiences with absolutely no compromises. We’ll do the same with phones—providing choice as we work to create great end-to-end experiences.

Ballmer details how Apple has found success in an "end-to-end" model by providing the customer with a full experience by designing both hardware and software. Walt Mossberg had previously articulated this basic difference in strategy between the two companies.

For many years, there have been two models of how to make computers and other digital devices. One is the component model, championed by Microsoft. The other is the end-to-end model, championed by Apple.

Microsoft, of course, saw huge success in the component model in the personal computer market by supplying Windows to thousands of competing hardware developers. Microsoft has tried to apply this same strategy to music players and mobile phones, but now acknowledges this had come with some user experience compromises. Some of this shift in strategy has already been seen in their Xbox 360 and Zune products where Microsoft is the sole vendor.

Ballmer, however, believes that Microsoft will be able to extend a "no compromises" end-to-end experience while retaining a commitment to choice. He specifically mentions phones as a target.
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Microsoft's Shifting Strategy in Response to Apple Empty Re: Microsoft's Shifting Strategy in Response to Apple

Post by krypto Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:22 pm

I really don't like balmer
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Microsoft's Shifting Strategy in Response to Apple Empty Re: Microsoft's Shifting Strategy in Response to Apple

Post by blade Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:59 pm

i can't stand him
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:47 pm

what an idiot, i mean, "we out-sell apple 30-1"
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:34 am

yeah i know. they don't make computer hardware!
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:36 am

yeah, that's right, like you said, how can he say that when they don't even sell hardware, and how can he say that anyways when apple has been growing a lot
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:19 pm

apple has been growing
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:29 pm

i know that's what i said, microsoft clearly hasn't lately
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:43 pm

well of course. it's hard for them to grow though
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:48 pm

yeah, but you see apple not only growing, but making products like iphone and ipod, you don't see microsoft making products like that
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:36 am

well they did make the zune
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 am

yeah , but the iPod and iPhone are much more popular
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:17 pm

i didn't say they weren't
    beholland25
    beholland25
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by beholland25 Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:28 pm

of course apple is making their presence known in the computer world and are growing more and more each year. they are also dominating the mp3 player industry and now with the iphone......
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:30 pm

well, they aren't 'dominating' with the iphone just yet
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:37 pm

yeah, but some day they will
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:38 pm

it's way to early to tell. you don't know that
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:42 pm

well, maybe one day they will
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:43 pm

hopefully
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:45 pm

yeah, if people like the iphone so much it could be
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:48 pm

but there are lots of phones out there that are copying the iphone
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:47 pm

yeah i know, but can't apple do something about it? l
    twoodcc
    twoodcc
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Post by twoodcc Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:03 pm

i'm not sure if they can or can't. if they can, i'm sure that they will, if they feel that they need to
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:08 pm

yeah, i definitely hope they can
    beholland25
    beholland25
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by beholland25 Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:56 pm

yeah, but clearly they have made a statement in creating the iphone. it may not dominate that industry but it sure has its competitors on the edge looking at them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:31 am