tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

5 posters

Google to Launch Webkit Based Web Browser Called 'Chrome'

blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Google to Launch Webkit Based Web Browser Called 'Chrome' Empty Google to Launch Webkit Based Web Browser Called 'Chrome'

Post by blade Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:06 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/01/google-to-launch-webkit-based-web-browser-called-chrome/

Google to Launch Webkit Based Web Browser Called 'Chrome' 175138-chrome

Google announced today that they would be releasing a new open source web browser called Google Chrome. The new browser will be available for download as a beta starting tomorrow.

Google states that the reason for a new web browser is that the company believes that it "can add value for users and, at the same time, help drive innovation on the web." The new browser is said to be "streamlined and simple" and "clean and fast". The underlying rendering engine is based on Webkit which is also used by Apple's Safari.

Other features were revealed in a comic book that detailed the new browser. Features include:

- New JavaScript engine called V8 for faster performance
    - "Special tabs" above the window, not below the address bar (see image above)
    - Address bar auto-completion
    - Opera-like "Speed Dial" with thumbnails of your most visited 9 websites
    - Privacy mode
    - Web apps can be launched in their own window without addressbar/toolbar

The entire comic book is published at AllThingsD.com.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html

http://kara.allthingsd.com/20080901/heres-the-google-chrome-browser-comic-book-hey-microsoft-kaa-pow/
    beholland25
    beholland25
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Google to Launch Webkit Based Web Browser Called 'Chrome' Empty Re: Google to Launch Webkit Based Web Browser Called 'Chrome'

Post by beholland25 Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:18 am

that sounds like a good idea. i think it would be successful.
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Google to Launch Webkit Based Web Browser Called 'Chrome' Empty Re: Google to Launch Webkit Based Web Browser Called 'Chrome'

Post by blade Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:23 am

well, it's not going to help Apple's Safari, but it should still hurt Microsoft's Internet Explorer
    dmxplosive
    dmxplosive
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Post by dmxplosive Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:10 pm

i guess this is supposed to be out today. i think only for windows at first though
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:17 pm

i'm a little suprized by this
    dmxplosive
    dmxplosive
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Post by dmxplosive Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:18 pm

why are you surprised? by the fact that it's windows only right now, or that google is releasing this at all?
    beholland25
    beholland25
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by beholland25 Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:59 am

wow, that was fast. we shall see how it does. i imagine that it would do pretty good though.
    dmxplosive
    dmxplosive
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Post by dmxplosive Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:18 pm

i've already read what some people had to say about it. mainly good things. but it's only out for windows at this point
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:01 pm

dmxplosive wrote:why are you surprised? by the fact that it's windows only right now, or that google is releasing this at all?
    by the fact of google using the new webkit
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 pm

i don't see why you are surprised
    macbook
    macbook
    Super Saiyan 2
    Super Saiyan 2

Post by macbook Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:24 am

i wonder when this will be available for mac and linux?
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:09 pm

idk, probably soon
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:49 pm

they said that they are working on the mac version. so probably soon. i wonder if people will use it over safari?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:52 am