tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

3 posters

Paralympics: The Games Where Bionic Athletes Reign

macbook
    macbook
    Super Saiyan 2
    Super Saiyan 2

Paralympics: The Games Where Bionic Athletes Reign Empty Paralympics: The Games Where Bionic Athletes Reign

Post by macbook Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:15 pm

http://gizmodo.com/5049191/paralympics-the-games-where-bionic-athletes-reign

Paralympics: The Games Where Bionic Athletes Reign Para13_01

Tech and the Olympics are a recipe for controversy. Before double-amputee sprinter Oscar Pistorius (right) was finally approved to compete in the Olympics (he failed to qualify, barely), naysayers claimed his carbon-fiber Cheetah blade prostheses gave him an advantage over non-cyborg competitors. And Speedo's LZR suit has been decried for rendering meaningless any world records that came before. But that debate is dropped entirely for the Paralympic Games, which are currently going on in Beijing and as we see in today's Big Picture, is where the sports tech comes out in force.

Prosthethics tech is where some of our baddest engineers are working today, from Dean Kamen's Luke Skywalker arm to the Cheetah itself, which is one of the first prosthetic legs to allow near-natural sprinting. But beyond that, tech aids large and small are what helps level (and then raise) the playing field of the Paralympics. Whether it's super-aerodynamic sprinting wheelchairs as advanced and light as any Olympic road cycle, or simple mods to make things possible in sports where they wouldn't be for disabled athletes under normal circumstances.
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Paralympics: The Games Where Bionic Athletes Reign Empty Re: Paralympics: The Games Where Bionic Athletes Reign

Post by krypto Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:39 am

i think people that can compete in athletics w/out letting their disability discourage them is pretty awesome
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Paralympics: The Games Where Bionic Athletes Reign Empty Re: Paralympics: The Games Where Bionic Athletes Reign

Post by blade Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:43 pm

i don't think people with metal legs should compete with people who have real legs
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:15 pm

yeah, that's not really fair

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:54 am