tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

+14
macinBlack
itunes
beholland25
robin
idog
littleMac
brisingr
ac/dc
spiderman
leopard
irun
ubuntu
pumpkin
unix
18 posters

Buyers Guide Update: iMacs, Mac Minis, and Mac Pros

unix
    Saiyan

Buyers Guide Update: iMacs, Mac Minis, and Mac Pros Empty Buyers Guide Update: iMacs, Mac Minis, and Mac Pros

Post by unix Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:07 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/28/buyers-guide-update-imacs-mac-minis-and-mac-pros/

Even though Apple refreshed MacBook Pros and MacBooks just a couple of weeks ago, many are still holding out for additional updates from Apple.

Our Buyers Guide show both the Mac mini and Mac Pro well overdue for updates and persistent rumors point at iMac updates before the holidays.

iMac

The iMac was last updated in April of this year. Intel provided Apple with advanced versions (Montevina-like) of their processors that supported faster bus speeds (1066 MHz) well before they were in wide circulation. As a result, an update to the iMac is least pressing and rumors suggest that Apple will simply upgrade the internals of the iMac to NVIDIA-based chipsets to bring them in line with Apple's newest notebooks.

While it is rather late in the year for any new releases, it's not unheard of for Apple to issue a November upgrade. In 2003, Apple released an iMac update as late as November 18th. If Apple does update the iMac in November, it will likely be a simple press release rather than an organized media event.

Mac Mini

Unfortunately, there is little new to say about the Mac mini. The most recent rumors have declared the Mac mini to still be alive, but it seems just barely. Apple has neglected the Mac mini for over a year now. In fact, for the last update, Apple didn't even issue a press release and revealed the upgrade during a Question and Answer session.

Mac Pro

The Mac Pro was last updated in January of this year at Macworld San Francisco. The fate of the Mac Pro largely depends on Intel's delivery of suitable new processors.

Intel has confirmed that they will be delivering the first of the Nehalem (Core i7) processors to customers in November with expectations pointing to the 17th. The Core i7 represents a significant architectural improvement over the Core 2 Duos used in existing Macs. The exact rollout of these chips remains a bit unclear. The first processors to be released in November are said to be high end Desktop versions of the processor. Apple, however, has traditionally used Intel's server-class processors for the Mac Pro rather than the desktop versions. That being said, Apple has gotten special treatment from Intel in the past and may be able get access to chips earlier than their competitors.

The next major event for such a high profile release is Macworld San Francisco in January 2009. With recent updates to the rest of their product line, it seems there will be little else to talk about at Macworld except the Mac Pro. Unless, of course, Apple decides to introduce a new product or discuss the upcoming Mac OS X Snow Leopard at the event.
    pumpkin
    pumpkin
    Saiyan

Buyers Guide Update: iMacs, Mac Minis, and Mac Pros Empty Re: Buyers Guide Update: iMacs, Mac Minis, and Mac Pros

Post by pumpkin Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:02 pm

poor mac mini, hopefully apple will update them soon
    ubuntu
    Super Saiyan 2
    Super Saiyan 2

Buyers Guide Update: iMacs, Mac Minis, and Mac Pros Empty Re: Buyers Guide Update: iMacs, Mac Minis, and Mac Pros

Post by ubuntu Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:50 pm

all three need to be updated
    irun
    Super Saiyan
    Super Saiyan

Post by irun Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:04 pm

yeah, they all do, but the mac mini needs updates the most
    leopard
    Saiyan

Post by leopard Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:04 am

yeah it does, it hasn't been updated in like over a year
    spiderman
    spiderman
    Saiyan

Post by spiderman Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:48 pm

yeah, if they even update the mini at all
    irun
    Super Saiyan
    Super Saiyan

Post by irun Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:44 pm

yeah, but i don't think apple will drop the mini
    ac/dc
    ac/dc
    Saiyan

Post by ac/dc Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:54 pm

i agree, i don't think apple will do that, but there is always that chance
    brisingr
    brisingr
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by brisingr Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:32 am

you never know with apple. but i think the mini will stay around a little longer
    littleMac
    Saiyan

Post by littleMac Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:11 pm

methinks also
    spiderman
    spiderman
    Saiyan

Post by spiderman Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:53 pm

looking forward to finding out
    idog
    idog
    Saiyan

Post by idog Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 pm

we have to find out soon, if apple is going to release anything, it'll be in november or early decmeber
    robin
    robin
    Saiyan

Post by robin Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:31 am

looks like we'll have to wait until next year
    beholland25
    beholland25
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by beholland25 Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:42 am

yep next year it is. hopefully it will be early in the year.
    robin
    robin
    Saiyan

Post by robin Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:05 pm

well macworld usually is in january
    idog
    idog
    Saiyan

Post by idog Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:51 pm

yeah, it could be then
    robin
    robin
    Saiyan

Post by robin Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:35 am

looking forward to macworld i guess
    irun
    Super Saiyan
    Super Saiyan

Post by irun Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:11 pm

yeah
    itunes
    itunes
    Saiyan

Post by itunes Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:03 pm

me2
    macinBlack
    macinBlack
    Saiyan

Post by macinBlack Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:44 pm

me3
    vista
    vista
    Saiyan

Post by vista Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:08 pm

we'll see what happens
    itunes
    itunes
    Saiyan

Post by itunes Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:20 pm

yep
    flash
    flash
    Saiyan

Post by flash Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:06 pm

looking forward to january
    windows7
    windows7
    Saiyan

Post by windows7 Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:42 pm

i have to say that i am interesed at what apple could release
    mbp
    Saiyan

Post by mbp Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:36 am

i am sure a lot of people are curious

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:04 am