tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

3 posters

Intel Not Taking Any Chances with Core i7

ps3
    ps3
    Saiyan

Intel Not Taking Any Chances with Core i7 Empty Intel Not Taking Any Chances with Core i7

Post by ps3 Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:40 pm

Intel Not Taking Any Chances with Core i7

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/17/intel-not-taking-any-chances-with-core-i7/

NY Times reports on Intel's extensive testing of the Core i7 (Nehalem) processors which officially launched today. The company has invested over $500 million annually to test these chips in an effort to avoid any show-stopping bugs.

This cautious attitude comes from experience for Intel who recalled their Pentium chips in 1994 after a widely publicized bug in its floating point calculation unit.

Quote:
    After the Pentium flaw, Intel also fundamentally rethought the way it designed its processors, trying to increase the chance that its chips would be error-free even before testing. During the late 1990s it turned to a group of mathematical theoreticians in the computer science field who had developed advanced techniques for evaluating hardware and software, known as formal methods.

Even with such testing, Intel says to be impossible to evaluate every possible scenario. As an additional safety net, Intel has included software in the Nehalem chips which can be changed after they ship.

Apple is expected to eventually adopt versions of Intel's Core i7 in future Macs.
    ps3
    ps3
    Saiyan

Intel Not Taking Any Chances with Core i7 Empty Re: Intel Not Taking Any Chances with Core i7

Post by ps3 Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:42 pm

harry
    harry
    Saiyan

Intel Not Taking Any Chances with Core i7 Empty Re: Intel Not Taking Any Chances with Core i7

Post by harry Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:42 pm

cool
    ps3
    ps3
    Saiyan

Post by ps3 Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:45 am

that's a lot of money spent on testing
    macinBlack
    macinBlack
    Saiyan

Post by macinBlack Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:09 pm

a lot more money than i will probably ever posses

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:12 am