tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

3 posters

Apple's .Mac Service to be Renamed, Revamped?

blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Apple's .Mac Service to be Renamed, Revamped? Empty Apple's .Mac Service to be Renamed, Revamped?

Post by blade Fri May 30, 2008 1:55 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/30/apples-mac-service-to-be-renamed-revamped/

Apple's .Mac ("dotmac") service is a $99/year set of online tools that provides customers with email (@mac), web hosting, iDisk, backup and sync services. .Mac services are tightly integrated with Apple's existing iLife suite, allowing you to publish content easily from iPhoto, iWeb and iMovie. Apple appears to be poised to rename and revamp this 6 year old service.

Codingrobots reveals that all references to Apple's .Mac service in Mac OS X 10.5.3 have been replaced with a variable... essentially a blank space that can be easily replaced in the future by a software update. The reason for this appears to be that Apple will be rebranding their .Mac service. This renaming plan is actually spelled out in iCal's localizable.strings file:

Quote:
    %@ is the new name of Apple’s online service (was .Mac)

This finding may validate recent whispers that Apple is planning a dramatic .Mac update alongside the iPhone 2.0 release.

In early May, TUAW claimed that .Mac would undergo a complete revamp near WWDC, and include the over-the-air syncing like Exchange and .Mac syncing with Windows. There has already been evidence that .Mac will be begin offering "push" functionality for Mail, Contacts and Calendar items in the iPhone 2.0 firmware, so a WWDC revamp certainly seems possible. Other whispers have suggested that Apple will start offering a discounted .Mac
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Apple's .Mac Service to be Renamed, Revamped? Empty Re: Apple's .Mac Service to be Renamed, Revamped?

Post by blade Fri May 30, 2008 1:57 pm

http://daringfireball.net/

might be called Mobile Me?
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Apple's .Mac Service to be Renamed, Revamped? Empty Re: Apple's .Mac Service to be Renamed, Revamped?

Post by krypto Fri May 30, 2008 2:07 pm

sound very interesting, especially if people found it in iCal's locaclized.strings files
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Fri May 30, 2008 3:17 pm

yeah i know. i'm excited about this
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Fri May 30, 2008 3:23 pm

yeah, me too, though it doesn't really affect me
    beholland25
    beholland25
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by beholland25 Fri May 30, 2008 8:42 pm

thats strange. i wonder why they are renaming it and redoing it
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Post by blade Sat May 31, 2008 12:56 pm

i guess we'll find out soon!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:30 pm