tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

2 posters

Early Version of Intel's Nehalem Benchmarked

blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Early Version of Intel's Nehalem Benchmarked Empty Early Version of Intel's Nehalem Benchmarked

Post by blade Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:27 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/06/early-version-of-intels-nehalem-benchmarked-much-faster-than-penryn/

Anandtech managed to get access to some early versions of Intel's Nehalem processors that are due for release in Q4 2008. We've previously described Nehalem which is expected to be a major jump forward from Intel's current Penryn processors. The key new features in Nehalem are Simultaneous multithreading, QuickConnect, and tri-channel DDR3.

Despite only having access to early chips and early motherboards, Anandtech was impressed:

Quote:
    First keep in mind that these performance numbers are early, and they were run on a partly crippled, very early platform. With that preface, the fact that Nehalem is still able to post these 20 - 50% performance gains says only one thing about Intel's tick-tock cadence: they did it.

Anandtech had access to a 2.66GHz Nehalem processor which they pitted against a 2.66GHz Penryn processor. Performance improvements ranged from 20-50% faster for the Nehalem chip. h.264 video encoding was tested and saw a 44% speed boost on Nehalem vs Penryn on the equally clocked processors. They claim that the 2.66GHz Nehalem outpaces the current top-of-the-line 3.2GHz Penryn. The speed increase comes at a cost of only 10% increase in total system power consumption.

Apple will certainly adopt the Nehalem processors after they become available. While the first server-grade Nehalem processors are expected in Q4 of 2008, desktop and laptop models won't be available until sometime in 2009.
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Early Version of Intel's Nehalem Benchmarked Empty Re: Early Version of Intel's Nehalem Benchmarked

Post by krypto Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:25 pm

sounds great
    blade
    blade
    Apple I
    Apple I

Early Version of Intel's Nehalem Benchmarked Empty Re: Early Version of Intel's Nehalem Benchmarked

Post by blade Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:27 pm

yep. sounds like a nice upgrade

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:20 pm