tmac

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tmac

Mac community

2 posters

Apple to Add Dedicated Video Hardware to Macs?

twoodcc
    twoodcc
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Apple to Add Dedicated Video Hardware to Macs? Empty Apple to Add Dedicated Video Hardware to Macs?

Post by twoodcc Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:21 pm

http://web.me.com/twood4/Site_2/Blog/Entries/2008/8/11_Apple_to_Add_Dedicated_Video_Hardware_to_Macs.html

AlleyInsider publishes an unconfirmed rumor that Apple will be incorporating QuickTime encoding/decoding chips into their products in the coming months. AlleyInsider's Dan Frommer describes it as "pure speculation" but felt it plausible enough to publish for discussion.

Our understanding is that a QuickTime encoding/decoding chip would handle the grunt work of processing video, presumably in the H.264 format, so that Mac computers' processors wouldn't have to do as much heavy lifting. That could be used in any number of cirumstances, such as a live, hi-def iChat AV video chat, watching HD video off the Web, or faster encoding HD video for distribution. (Perhaps the iSight cameras built into MacBooks and iMacs might get a HD upgrade, too.)

The rumor actually mirrors an old claim by Robert Cringely from 2007 that describes the same details:

Now comes the rumor I have heard, that I believe to be a fact, that has simply yet to be confirmed. I have heard that Apple plans to add hardware video decoding to ALL of its new computers beginning fairly soon, certainly this year.

The significance of this rumor is somewhat unclear as many modern day graphics cards already contain dedicated H.264 decoding hardware. The addition of encoding hardware, however, may be of beneift for lower end and mobile configurations.

Incidentally, H.264 is one of the codecs used in Blu-Ray high definition video discs which Apple has yet to adopt.

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/8/apple-s-macs-to-get-a-video-upgrade-aapl-
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Apple to Add Dedicated Video Hardware to Macs? Empty Re: Apple to Add Dedicated Video Hardware to Macs?

Post by krypto Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:03 pm

this should be good
    twoodcc
    twoodcc
    Super Saiyan 3
    Super Saiyan 3

Apple to Add Dedicated Video Hardware to Macs? Empty Re: Apple to Add Dedicated Video Hardware to Macs?

Post by twoodcc Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:56 pm

this would be nice, since it would make the computer faster at doing those things. we'll see if it really happens
    krypto
    krypto
    Super Saiyan 4
    Super Saiyan 4

Post by krypto Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:20 pm

i think this'll plenty help

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:05 am